The Academic Senate (AS) is an academic administrative body and the university’s highest decision-making committee, encompassing all status groups at ASH Berlin.
The Academic Senate is responsible for areas such as
- Setting up and phasing out study programmes
- Devising basic principles for teaching, studying and examinations
- Passing resolutions on university development plans
- Passing resolutions on proposals for electing the University Board
- Making position statements on the draft budget
The Academic Senate can draw on committees for support and advice. The committee members are appointed by the representatives of their member groups in the Academic Senate.
To find out whether student representatives are currently required for committees and other bodies, please check the German web page. If you’d like to get involved, please contact the student representatives of the Academic Senate.
AstA – General Students' Committee
The General Students' Committee (German: Allgemeiner Studierenden-Auschuss, AStA for short) meets several times every month during the teaching period. The right of the student body to participate in academic administration is set out in the Berlin Higher Education Act. The representatives of AStA represent and support students according to their assigned topic areas and offer regular consultation hours.
The AStA teams and topic areas:
- University policy: The university policy team supports the participation of students in student life at ASH Berlin, representing the rights and interests of students in committees and bodies. hopo@ ash-berlin.eu
- Social matters: The social matters team provides students with information about financing and organising their studies. soziales@ ash-berlin.eu
- Finances: finanzen@ ash-berlin.eu
- Semester ticket: The semester ticket is a solidarity-based model for students in higher education and universities to use public transport at a reduced cost. semesterticket@ ash-berlin.eu
- Public relations: The public relations team communicates on behalf of AStA to the outside world and to all students.oeffref@ ash-berlin.eu
- AntiRaFa: The team aims to raise student awareness regarding right-ring radicalism, antisemitism and racism. antirafa@ ash-berlin.eu
- Anti-racism report centre: Anti-racism report centres (Registerstellen) document racist, antisemitic, anti-LBGTIQ*, anti-gypsy, right-wing extremist, right-wing populist and other discrimination-motivated incidents that take place in the city districts of Berlin. arreg@ ash-berlin.eu
- Queer*: The team serves as the point of contact for discrimination and incidents in the university resulting from sexist, homophobic, transphobic or heteronormative views or other such motivations. queerref@ ash-berlin.eu
- Antidiscrimination: The antidiscrimination team acts as the point of contact and support for people affected by any form of discrimination or violence within or outside of ASH Berlin structures. antidis@ ash-berlin.eu