Parents Asking Parents: The Way to Day Care
Project duration: 01/02/2015 - 31/01/2018
Project staff: Ina Schaefer
- Association of Health Promotion in Berlin
- Municipal district Marzahn-Hellersdorf in Berlin
- City of Lauchhammer
- Network Healthy Children Niederlausitz
ElfE is a member of the research consortium PartKommPlus - Healthy Communities Through Integrated, Participatory Health Promotion Germany. PartKommPlus is a project of the German Network for Participatory Health Research (PartNet).
In Germany, there is a growing interest in combating health inequities at the local level. The project ʽParents asking Parents‘ (ElfE) is part of the publicly funded German PartKommPlus consortium and aims at fostering local co-operation in the health field through peer research. Embedded in the overall objective of supporting health equity in early childhood, the project targets were:
- To enhance the participation of vulnerable families in developing integrated municipal strategies (IMS) in health promotion.
- To develop and refine methods which can be used by the municipality to implement peer research.
- To create an advisory tool, especially for Health Equity Co-ordination Centers, in order to support the rollout of IMS focused on early childhood.
There were two basic working forms in two local case studies: A community advisory board and three peer-research teams. The whole research process was done by the research teams. Shared power to decide was the leadings principle of the whole research process.The overarching theme was the relationship of parents to their childrens‘ pre-school teachers.
Now, the results of the research process are used to strengthen the integrated municipal strategy related to the interface between parents and pre-school teachers.
Key words: participatory health research, peer research, marginalized groups, day care centers