Pregnant and studying?
Here you’ll find all the important information you need for planning ...
Organising your studies
From 01/01/2018 students and interns are also covered by statutory maternity leave. This means that you will be released from to the obligation to participate in examinations during maternity leave and treated with consideration with regard to attendance obligations. It is possible to participate in examinations during maternity leave if you submit an application. If necessary, the Examination Board will make further adjustments to study conditions or grant examination privileges in individual cases or if any risk is identified.
In addition to maternity leave, at ASH Berlin you also have the possibility of taking parental leave.
- Please inform us of your pregnancy as soon as possible and present your maternity record (Mutterpass). Please also carefully read the maternity leave information.
- Notify the Enrolment Office as soon as possible (for further education programmes: Study programmes: Programme Coordination)
- Talk to the Student Advisory Service, if required submit the “Declaration on voluntary assessment during maternity leave” (Erklärung über das freiwillige Erbringen von Prüfungsleistungen während des Mutterschutzes) to the Examinations Office, talk to the Examination Board if necessary.
- Talk to the professors/lecturers involved
- Maternity leave: 6 weeks prior to birth, 8 weeks after birth
- Parental leave: from the first day of birth until your child’s third birthday (maximum)
- As early as possible
- BAföG recipients will continue to receive BAföG
- Subject semesters continue to count
- Possibility to postpone examinations
If you are pregnant or become pregnant during the time when you are writing your degree thesis, you can submit an application to extend your submission deadline if you are officially on maternity leave. If you wish to take maternity leave six weeks before and eight weeks after the birth, please contact the Student Service Centre.
Further information on grounds for extension can be found here.
Financial support for students with children
If you have questions about financial support for students with children, please contact the gender equality officers.
Exemption from participation in the semester ticket
If you wish to take leave because of pregnancy or child care, you can submit an application for exemption from participating in the Semester ticket (Antrag auf die Befreiung von der Teilnahme am Semesterticket) via AStA. Your application will be assessed by the social division of AStA and forwarded to the Enrolment Office. If your application is approved, your semester ticket fees will be refunded.